YOUNG TURKS


6:00 A.M. I'm on a taxi headed for the airport. Long day in front of me and yet, I am feeling quite well and energetic. Suddenly, I see a bunch of young ladies and gentlemen in the bus stop, waiting for the College Bus that goes by every day and pick students up to take'em to school.

It was a quick and dramatic flashback. Here I was, after almost 12 years since I graduated from College, inmersed in the corporate world, living the dream and pushing for more, and  there they were: maybe kind of woozy because of the early wake up, but all of them chasing the dream of being "somebody".

I started humming automatically the famous song by Rod Stewart "Young Turks", and I recalled part of the lirics that went like this:

"Young hearts be free tonight. Time is on your side,



Don't let them put you down, don't let 'em push you around,


don't let 'em ever change your point of view"

So I tought: what would be the 5 pieces of advice I would give these young fellows, before they take a cold, deep dip into the world of business?. I think it's an easy one. And definately, you will see that my position relates a lot to the spirit of Rod's song:

1) Aim High and work your ass off to get what you want. Exceed in efforts to do stuff differently and  always be spotless and transparent on your job.

2) Build character and always be strong, blunt and fair to others.

3) Never compromise your ideas and dreams. Don't let the big bad bullies intimidate you. A courageous heart will always find his path to success.

4) Find your Talent. Be passionate about what you do. Don't spend life doing something you don't like. It's a slow suicide.

5) Take risks and accept challenges. Cowards never get too far.

Wow, will I ever go back to college?....it's time to think about it seriously and give a shot to school again. I want to live like a young turk for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

k.marcela said...

i think u re right... everything we do to be someone.. it worths.. and, when u don't have dreams to reach, you're death.
congratulations again for your new blog..
i will write in english and i accept corrections...ha ha..

love ya!

Aureliano García said...

Mar,
Thanks a lot for your comment!--Hope to see you frequently around here.
best regards
aureliano